"The question has been asked innumerable times by journalists, politicians, aid workers and academics over the years: What’s wrong with Haiti? Why can’t a country that seems to have so much potential overcome its political instability and extreme poverty? Why don’t aid programs ever seem to have the intended results? Why is the country so vulnerable to disaster and turmoil?
Historian Laurent Dubois attempts to answer that question in Haiti: The Aftershocks of History by carefully detailing Haiti’s history, with particular emphasis on certain turns in the road that have left indelible marks on the island nation often referred to as the poorest in the Western Hemisphere, “a moniker...
To see the whole list, click here.
1. War Horse by Michael Morpurgo ($3.95 in Arrow and TAB)
2. The Fourth Stall by Chris Rylander ($4 in Arrow)
3. Dear Dumb Diary, Year Two: School. Hasn’t This Gone On Long Enough? by Jim Benton ($2.95 in Arrow)
4. Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings by Hélène Boudreau ($5 in Arrow)
5. Aliens on Vacation by Clete Smith ($4 in Arrow)